The Montessori Classroom
The Montessori classroom is a child-size world: All that is in the outside world can be incorporated meaningfully into the Montessori classroom. By careful selection of materials by the teacher, an environment is set up that allows the child a place to explore life on a level she can understand.
The materials or exercises are designed to stimulate independent exploration. This prepared environment entices the child to proceed at her own pace from simple activities to more complex ones. She is encouraged to work freely so long as she does not disturb others. As a result of having this freedom to follow her own interests, she is generally happy and busily involved in her work.
Essentials of a Montessori Education:
- Mixed age classroom (our classroom ranges from ages 3-6)
- Student choice of activity from within a prescribed range of options
- Uninterrupted blocks of work time, ideally three hours
- A constructivist or “discovery” model, where students learn concepts from working with materials, rather than by direct instruction
- Specialized educational materials developed by Montessori and her collaborators
- Freedom of movement within the classroom
- A trained Montessori teacher
The Saxtons River Montessori School offers…
- excellent and caring teachers
- a nurturing, gentle environment
- child-centered learning
- mixed-age cooperation and socialization
- beautiful and enriching learning materials
- individualized learning
- half-day and full-day programs
…adherence to a Montessori methodology that…
- respects the unique qualities of each child
- fosters independence and self-reliance
- promotes a sense of community
- and establishes a foundation for life-long learning.